Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jefferson City Braunschweiger Report #4: Having a Ball

Okay, folks, I admit it: I haven’t actually made the following recipe. After polishing off the last liver-y creation, we still need a little vacation from actually eating braunschweiger.

I present this to you because it was published in a national magazine and lo and behold, naturally, it hails from a lady from Jefferson City, which I contend is the braunschweiger capital of the United States.

There’s a good chance I could get into hot water for copying this recipe, since Family Weekly printed it with a note that clearly states: “All recipes become the property of Family Weekly.

So shoot me for copying it and giving due credit. Family Weekly, or your current parent corporation, just let me know if I’m crossing the boundaries of Fair Use, and I’ll gladly depost this post.

This is from a regular feature that was called “Food: Neighbors’ Recipe Exchange” by Marilyn Hansen. Actually, Hansen edited the feature, as it consisted mainly of recipes shared by readers. (A bit of Internet searching reveals that Hansen also has worked for McCall’s, Country Accents, and Victorian Accents magazines.)

I found the recipe online here, which is a reprint of Family Weekly as it was bundled with the Boca Raton News on February 25, 1979. This recipe appeared on page 26.

I copy it exactly.

When you read it, you’ll understand why I couldn’t bear to make it. (Yet.)

Seriously . . . it’s “frosted.”

Voilà . . .


Florence Barker of Jefferson City, Mo., sends a recipe for “Braunschweiger Ball,” a recipe for a “frosted” appetizer, a reliable recipe for entertaining.

BRAUNSCHWEIGER BALL
On a large plate or pie pan, mash 1 pkg. (8 ozs.) cream cheese, softened with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, until smooth and spreadable. Set aside.

In large bowl, using electric mixer or food processor, blend together 1 lb. braunschweiger liverwurst, cubed, 1/2 cup chili sauce, 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish and 5 or 6 dashes of Tabasco. Beat until well mixed. Refrigerate, covered, until mixture firms up.

Turn mixture out onto a sheet of foil and mold into a ball. Using a small spatula, frost with the cream-cheese mixture. Decorate with sliced stuffed green olives and finely chopped parsley.

Serve with assorted crackers.

Florence says, “I make this appetizer for buffet parties. I am always asked for the recipe.

“I love the Recipe Exchange and save all the columns as I collect recipes and have a cookbook collection.”

Florence reads Family Weekly in the News Tribune, Jefferson City, Mo.


By the way, if anyone knows this Florence Barker, let me know how to contact her. I want to talk to her. Seriously. There’s a very good chance she might have gone to your church . . .

No comments: